During the colder, rainier months I crave a warm, grounding breakfast. I just can’t bring myself to want anything that’s cold or raw because my body already feels cold inside.
That’s why I am obsessed with my warm matcha tonics in the morning as well as these stewed fruits! It’s a great way to enjoy fruit that still feels warming and comforting.
When it comes to making stewed fruits, I like to keep it very simple with minimal ingredients. My friend sent me this great recipe, which looks delicious, but I have perfected my own recipe that I will share here.
There is so much you can do with these stewed fruits — put it on top of oatmeal, toast, pancakes OR you can add all sorts of toppings to it — like yogurt, your favorite nut butter, coconut flakes, granola or hemp seeds.
My personal favorite combination is a slice of gluten free buckwheat toast from honey hi topped with some sunflower butter, stewed fruits, lots of cinnamon and then some coconut flakes :)
Here is my recipe:
- honeycrisp apple, or fruit of your choosing, cut into 1” pieces — pears, persimmons, peaches and raspberries work well! I used a honeycrisp apple and raspberries in the photo above
- 2 tsp of ghee — I like to use the 4th & Heart Madagascar Vanilla ghee — you can use coconut oil for a vegan alternative
- cinnamon — to your taste (I like a lot)
- cardamom — to your taste (I usually use a small sprinkle, about 1/4 tsp)
- pinch of pink himalayan salt
- Heat a small pot on the stovetop. Once the bowl is warm add the 2 tsp of ghee, when the ghee is melted add the apple or fruit pieces. Stir them around and let them cook for a few minutes, then lower the heat and cover the pot and let it cook for about five minutes
- Keep stirring them around and keeping an eye on them. If they start to get too dry you can add a little bit of water (about 1 tbsp) but not more than that because you don’t want them to get watery.
- Once the apples are soft (but not falling apart) remove them from heat and let them cool down a little bit.
- Prepare your toast or get your other ingredients ready and either add the stewed fruits on top, or assemble your bowl of stewed fruits with all your favorite fixings!